RUSTBURG, VA – On Thursday, March 12, 2020 at approximately 9:30 a.m., a Campbell County Sheriff’s Office deputy arrived at the 5600 block of Three Creeks Road to serve an individual an outstanding warrant. Upon making contact with the individual, the subject attacked the Deputy, an altercation followed, and the subject was taken into custody.
As a result of the attack, the deputy was transported to Lynchburg General Hospital, treated for non-life-threatening injuries and released.
The assailant, 57 year-old County resident Gary L. Waller, is in custody and facing the following charges:
- Disarm Law Enforcement of Firearm;
- Abduction with a Firearm;
- Use of a Firearm in the Commission of Felony;
- Assault & Battery on Law Enforcement Officer (LEO);
- Disarm Law Enforcement of Chemical/Impact Weapon;
- Pointing/Brandishing Firearm; and
- Obstruction of Justice