CARROLLTON – The Flames wrapped up their second tournament of the fall season with a fifth-place finish against a top-notch field at the 2021 Maridoe Collegiate Invitational.
Liberty, who is ranked No. 25 in the Golfweek preseason top 25 poll, posted its first top-five finish of the season by carding a 13-over par 877 (291-296-290) after three trips around the challenging Maridoe Golf Club (par 72, 7,351 yards).
Kieran Vincent paced the way for the Flames, finishing tied for seventh place with an even par 216 (73-71-72).
No. 7 Oklahoma closed the tournament with a 7-under par 281 on Wednesday to claim the team title with an overall winning score of 3-under par 861 (290-290-281).
The Flames will close out their three-tournament schedule when they travel to East Hampton, N.Y., for the Hamptons Intercollegiate. Loyola hosts the two-day event on Oct. 4-5 at the Maidstone Club.
Round Recap – Liberty’s Starting Five:
- Kieran Vincent – T7 even par 216 (73-71-72)
- Jonathan Yaun – T16 2-over par 218 (75-74-69)
- Austin Duncan – T23 6-over par 222 (75-78-69)
- Connor Polender – T37 10-over par 226 (68-78-80)
- Austin Barbin – T56 17-over par 233 (79-73-81)
- The 15-team field features eight teams currently ranked in the Golfweek preseason top 25 poll: Arizona State (No. 3), Texas (No. 5), Oklahoma (No. 7), Wake Forest (No. 8), Texas Tech (No. 9), Texas A&M (No. 16), SMU (No. 21) and Liberty (No. 25).
- The Maridoe Golf Club was a stern test of golf, posting daily scoring averages around four-over par each day (Monday – 76.16; Tuesday – 75.67; Wednesday – 75.29).
- Oklahoma closed the event with the best team 18-hole score of the invitational to claim the team title.
- Oklahoma edged No. 5 Texas by one stroke with the Longhorns finishing in second place with a 2-under par 862 (294-284-284).
- Arizona State’s Cameron Sisk (70-66-73-209) and Texas Tech’s Baard Skogen (73-68-68-209) finished tied atop the 75-man leaderboard with a 7-under par 209.
- Sisk was declared the tournament’s medalist because of a par posted on the No. 18 closing hole (par 4, 424 yards).
Birdies and Bogeys – Liberty Team Notes:
- The Flames finished the day with 14 total birdies and ranked fourth overall with 43 total birdies following three rounds.
- Liberty posted the top-five finish thanks in part to its solid play on the par-5 hole where the Flames ranked third with a scoring average of 4.90 (6-under par).
- Two of the six players in the field to post a sub-70 score on Wednesday were on the Flames’ roster (Austin Duncan and Jonathan Yaun).
- Duncan posted a clean card on Wednesday with three birdies and 15 pars.
- Yaun finished the third round with seven birdies and ranked fifth overall during the invitational with 12 birdies.
- Yaun finished the event tied for 16th place with a 2-over par 218 (75-74-69).
- Duncan moved up the leaderboard 24 spots on Wednesday to finish tied for 23rd place with a 6-over par 222 (75-78-69).
Back on the Course – Liberty’s Next Event:
- 2021 Hamptons Intercollegiate (Oct. 4-5)
- Maidstone Club (East Hampton, N.Y.)
- Hosted by Loyola
- Par 72, 6,709 yards